
Knowing Your Learning Target
Connie M. Moss, Susan M. Brookhart and Beverly A. Long
"The first thing students need to learn is what they're supposed to be learning." Continue reading...
AAAA Response:What assumptions do these authors hold?
What do you agree with in this reading?
What do you want to argue with in the reading?
What parts do you aspire to?
This is my comment to the article.
ReplyDeleteI do not buy that summative assessment ends learning. I also believe that endless reteaching puts the teacher up as the only vested interest in the process. Students are not neutral and should be held responsible for working toward mastery as well.
ReplyDeleteThe assumption held by the author is that all students are actively trying to learn. I agree that having a goal for students is valuable because they have a focus for learning. I would argue that the learning target is obvious in most lessons. I aspire to have students assess whether they feel they have achieved the learning goal or not so they take some ownership of their learning.
ReplyDeleteI often tell my players that, "A person without a goal is like a missle without a target." I feel the author hits on this point and the concept applies to the classroom as well. Having no goal can be dangerous. I feel that the many activities that Armstrong School District are very admirable and I think the data teams that the Freshman Academy are going to pilot next school year will lend themselves well to this process of collaboration.
ReplyDeleteThe idea of "I can..." statements would be great for exit slips.